Knee problems can occur in people of all ages, men, women, and children or people of all races can have this problem. Knee is that junction between upper leg and lower leg, provides stability, strength and support the whole weight of the body. It also provides flexibility required for standing and motions while walking, running and jumping.
Mostly people conceive knee pain due to sports, exercise and other activities causing muscle strains, tendinitis, and injuries of muscle ligaments and cartilage. In few of them, knee pain is so severe that it does not allow a single move. In either case, chances are that you’re dealing with a knee problem that shouldn’t be ignored.
Causes of Knee problem
Any injury or disorder can cause problem in your knees. Mild knee pain may be a long time hindrance to your lifestyle what you desire.
- Ligament Injury:Ligament connects thigh bone to lower leg bones in order to hold and keep bones together and stable. Sprain in knee ligament is common in sports injuries, and can possess to the anterior cruciate ligament , posterior cruciate ligament, and medial collateral ligament. This type of injuries has severe knee pain and result in surgery.
- Knee Cartilage Tears:Injury can be possible in knee cartilage when performing sports. Cartilage is made up of tough tissue but flexible, it covers the bone ends. Knee cartilage has two menisci on both side of the joint, themedial meniscus inside of the knee and thelateralmeniscus, located on the outside.A knee cartilage tear is a common injury, and require short surgery.
- Arthritis of the Knee: Arthritis is a very common problem seen in one-fourth of the population because of severe knee pain and disability found in knees. Arthritis is a chronic degenerative phenomena that unfortunately require surgery. The three most common types of arthritis are rheumatoid arthritis, osteoarthritis, and post-traumatic arthritis. Out of these cases some people experiences swelling and stiffness and it might be hard to bend your knee, resulting in non-functioning of lower part of the body.
- Rheumatoid Arthritis of the Knee: Rheumatoid arthritis is an autoimmune disease that causes inflammation and thickening of tissues around the joint. Chronic inflammation in knees and the bones around often leads to damage and loss of cartilage.Rheumatoid arthritis present in about 10 percent to 15 percent of all arthritis cases in world.
- Osteoarthritis of the Knee: Osteoarthritis is a common type of arthritis, where there is a covering cartilage over the knee joint. It occurs more frequently in people of age 50 and older.The impact of osteoarthritis could be dangerous due to accumulated use and the covering of cartilage that happens with age.Osteoarthritis causes severe pain, motion, swelling, stiffness, deformity, tenderness and weakness in knee.
Causes of osteoarthritis consists of weight, age, genetics background,injuries, infections, such as a tumor. Osteoarthritis is caused by sports injuries, sprain and tear resulting from high intensity workout occupations, such as construction in manufacturing companies.
Treating Knee Pain
Knee pain usually becomes worse in arthritis case. Treatments include:
- Weight loss
- Strengthening exercises
- Wrapping, and pain relieversÔÇö acetaminophen and non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs
While osteoarthritis is the most common cause of knee problem in patients with severe pain from arthritis may benefit from surgery, or a knee replacement. Its important to discuss and explore several treatments and always consult with your doctor before going for surgery.